Saturday, February 14, 2015

Just a Little Bit Of Bling

I had fun last week embellishing all sorts of things! 
I have a friend that loves fortune cookies so how fun would it be to receive a handcrafted non-edible one. 

I used zebra felt and  cut out a 4" circle. I cheated and used my Cricut. Felt does not stick well during the cutting process if your mat is not sticky. Lesson learned! You could also use a Sizzix Circle Die or Framlit to cut it out. Lately in a number of areas I find I am reverting to the good ol' old fashioned way and used a pencil to trace around a plate. Then I took my Red Rhinestones from The Button Boutique and laid them at the outer edge of the circle. I let it sit overnight with a heavy book on top as the felt was not the best medium for the bling - but it looked so pretty!

In the morning I folded the circle in half with the zebra print showing. Then I pushed the center of the folded edge toward the outside edge while using my fingers to push the outer folded edge so they touched. Had I been using paper I would have had a cute fortune cookie; however, since this was felt, and I did not want to use a hot glue gun, I used velcro to keep the two sides of the fortune cookie touching. I added a personal fortune and slipped it in one side. My girlfriend loved it.

Next to the fortune cookie is a coaster. I picked up a non-glazed tile at my local hardware store, using a Prima Stamp I stamped it with Color Box Frost White Pigment Ink then used white embossing powder from Stampendous and embossed it. (If you did not want to emboss it you would need to heat set this ink.) The tile got very let me say VERY HOT! So use tongs to hold it or something so you do not burn your fingers. There are flowers peaking out of the bustier which is atop sheet music and there is a teapot in the foreground on the right. The left forground is blobs. I wonder if it was to balance it out. I used the Rhinestones from The Button Boutique on the side edges of the coaster. I really like this look. Add felt cut to the size of the tile makes it table safe!

This little birdouse was created at one of the craft groups I belong to and the pattern came from:
 http:/allfreecrafts.com/recycling/cards/christmas-card-bird-houses

You can print out the pattern you want for free. I just held the rinted pattern to teh paper and cut adding abou 1/8" to the printed flaps. Some of the ladies traced the pattern to the cardstock first or you could use repositional tape to keep the pattern in place. I used the Christmas Card one I made as a gift. I placed a gift certificate inside the birdcage and then placed some tissue in the hole so that you couldn't see inside the birdcage. I decided to dig through my craft box and created this birdhouse. The roof is the reverse side of the cardstock. The hole was created using a die. If I had wanted a small circle or square I could have used a punch but for a one directional shape a die is needed. While it was cute...I added black rhinestones on the top and red rhinestones on the top and bottom edge of the birdhouse. It was the perfect eye catcher! All of the rhinestones came from The Button Boutique. They are self adhesive and come in a large rectangle sheet.


No comments:

Post a Comment